Sunday, November 19, 2017

Martin Truex Jr. Wins Championship with Homestead Victory

Martin Truex Jr. won the Ford 400 on Sunday afternoon at Homestead-Miami Speedway to win the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Championship.

Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images
Truex led 78 laps on Sunday, but was not the dominant car throughout the race.  A late caution ruined Kyle Busch’s pit strategy, and that allowed Truex to take the lead for good.  He was able to hold Busch off in the closing laps to win his eighth race of the season.

Truex said he was sure Busch would pass him in the closing laps.

“At 20 to go, I thought I was done,” Truex said.  “I found a line that I could use.  I found a lane that was blocking enough of the air that they couldn’t really use it.”

Truex, the regular season champion, dominated on the track all season, but had to persevere through struggles off the track; Truex’s longtime girlfriend Sherry Pollex has been battling cancer, a crew member passed away before the Kansas race, and team owner Barney Vissar suffered a heart attack two weeks ago.

Throughout all the struggles, Truex and his team never gave up.

“A lot of it was for her, a lot of it was for me, a lot of it was for this team,” Truex said.  “I was a wreck just thinking about all the rough days, the bad days, the times where I thought my career was over with.  The times when I didn’t think anyone believed in me…but the people who mattered did.”

“I’ve been wanting this since I was a kid racing go-karts.  I never thought this day would come.”

Busch had the fastest car all day, but he was caught off-sequence from the other leaders when a caution affected their pit strategy.

Busch said he believed he could have beaten Truex if he had more time.

“Just unfortunate for us that that caution came out and kind of ruined our race strategy,” Busch said.  “We weren’t able to get back to where we needed to be.”

Chris Graythen/Getty Images
“They deserved it on probably every other race but today; I thought we were better…but they were out front when it mattered most.  Congratulations to the 78.”

The race was also the final Cup Series race in Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s career.  Earnhardt finished 25th on Sunday, but he said he hoped his fans enjoyed his final season.

“I hope all the fans enjoyed this season,” Earnhardt said.  “I know it’s not everything we wanted on the racetrack, but we sure had fun off of it.”

“Sure going to miss everybody, but we’ll be back.  We’ll be back at the racetrack a little bit with our Xfinity stuff next year…we’ll be around.  We definitely want to be a part of this sport no matter what.”

Unofficial results:
1. Martin Truex Jr.
2. Kyle Busch
3. Kyle Larson
4. Kevin Harvick
5. Chase Elliott
6. Joey Logano
7. Brad Keselowski
8. Matt Kenseth
9. Denny Hamlin
10. Ryan Newman
11. Austin Dillon
12. Clint Bowyer
13. Jamie McMurray
14. AJ Allmendinger
15. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
16. Paul Menard
17. David Ragan
18. Aric Almirola
19. Trevor Bayne
20. Chris Buescher
21. Erik Jones
22. Kurt Busch
23. Landon Cassill
24. Michael McDowell
25. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
26. Ty Dillon
27. Jimmie Johnson
28. Cole Whitt
29. Ryan Blaney
30. Matt DiBenedetto
31. Corey LaJoie
32. Jeffrey Earnhardt
33. Kasey Kahne
34. Daniel Suarez
35. Reed Sorenson
36. David Starr
37. Danica Patrick
38. Ray Black Jr.
39. Joey Gase

Chris Graythen/Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment