Sunday, October 1, 2017

Busch Wins at Dover in Round 1 Finale

Originally written for CLNS Media.

Kyle Busch won the Apache Warrior 400 from Dover International Speedway on Sunday afternoon.

Busch capped off the first round of the Playoffs with his second victory of the round, after passing Chase Elliott for the lead with two laps to go.
Brian Lawdermilk/Getty Images

Busch said he gave his everything in the final run to try and run down Elliott.

“That was hard fought…that was everything I had,” Busch said.  “I was trying to get there, and I got stuck for a few laps.  I wasn’t sure if I would make it all the way, and then I had to try the top.”

Elliott, who is still looking for his first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victory, dominated the final stage of the race, but lost the lead after getting slowed down by lapped traffic.

Busch said he could understand Elliott’s frustration with the runner-up finish.

“I know Chase is hungry…he’s been trying a couple years to get his first Cup Series win,” Busch said.  “Fortunately we had a little bit fresher tires than he did and it drug us right to him.”

“I saw that carrot hanging out there, and I wanted to go get it.”

Elliott led a race-high 138 laps, but he was visibly disappointed after coming so close to his first victory.  Elliott said it was his fault that he couldn’t get to victory lane.

“I’m so disappointed in myself; couldn’t have had it any easier,” Elliott said.  “Appreciate our team and their efforts today; our pit stops were great and it kept us in the ballgame, and I didn’t.”

“When you look back, I obviously would have done something different, but I didn’t.”

Unofficial results:
1. Kyle Busch
2. Chase Elliott
3. Jimmie Johnson
4. Martin Truex Jr.
5. Kyle Larson
6. Clint Bowyer
7. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
8. Daniel Suarez
9. Jamie McMurray
10. Brad Keselowski
11. Matt Kenseth
12. Erik Jones
13. Ryan Newman
14. Kasey Kahne
15. Joey Logano
16. Austin Dillon
17. Kevin Harvick
18. Danica Patrick
19. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
20. Kurt Busch
21. David Ragan
22. Ty Dillon
23. Ryan Blaney
24. Trevor Bayne
25. Aric Almirola
26. Paul Menard
27. Michael McDowell
28. AJ Allmendinger
29. Landon Cassill
30. Chris Buescher
31. Matt DiBenedetto
32. Cole Whitt
33. Brett Moffitt
34. Corey LaJoie
35. Denny Hamlin
36. BJ McLeod
37. Jeffrey Earnhardt
38. Ross Chastain
39. Reed Sorenson
40. Timmy Hill

Sean Gardner/Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment