Sunday, May 15, 2016

Kenseth Wins Wild AAA 400

Originally written for CLNS Radio.

Matt Kenseth won the AAA 400 from Dover International Speedway on Sunday afternoon to pick up his first victory of 2016.

Photo courtesy Sean Gardner/Getty Images
Kenseth had to hold off Kyle Larson and Chase Elliott over the final run of the race, with Larson getting within striking distance of Kenseth on numerous occasions.  Kenseth said he had to hold off Larson with a very loose race car.

“We were tight all night on restarts, then five laps into that last run we got so loose that I thought Kyle was going to get right by me,” Kenseth said.  “Just buried the trackbar and kept digging the best I could and tried to hold him off.”

A restart with less than 50 laps to go changed the outlook of the race, when Jimmie Johnson caused an 18-car pileup at the front of the field that took out some of the best cars.  Kenseth said he was able to capitalize on the other front-runner’s misfortune.

“Obviously we got fortunate when some of the good cars got in accidents.  But Kyle gave me everything I wanted, and then some.”

Larson raced Kenseth clean over the final run, but said he could have moved Kenseth to get to victory lane.

“I was trying all I could do to get by him without getting into him,” Larson said.  “I probably could have bumped him there a little once in the middle of one and two.  I was just trying to be patient, I knew I was better than he was.”

“I got another shot at him there at the end.  Came up a little too short, maybe just a little too patient there.”

Unofficial results:
1. Matt Kenseth
2. Kyle Larson
3. Chase Elliott
4. Kasey Kahne
5. Kurt Busch
6. Brad Keselowski
7. Denny Hamlin
8. Ryan Blaney
9. Martin Truex Jr.
10. Trevor Bayne
11. Paul Menard
12. Clint Bowyer
13. Danica Patrick
14. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
15. Kevin Harvick
16. Ryan Newman
17. David Ragan
18. Chris Buescher
19. Landon Cassill
20. Michael McDowell
21. Jamie McMurray
22. Joey Logano
23. AJ Allmendinger
24. Brian Scott
25. Jimmie Johnson
26. Casey Mears
27. Cole Whitt
28. Carl Edwards
29. Greg Biffle
30. Kyle Busch
31. Aric Almirola
32. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
33. Austin Dillon
34. Tony Stewart
35. Jeffrey Earnhardt
36. Josh Wise
37. Michael Annett
38. Reed Sorenson
39. Regan Smith
40. Matt DiBenedetto
 
Photo courtesy Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images

 

No comments:

Post a Comment