Saturday, March 10, 2012

Blogs for a Cause

Usually, I don't write about things that aren't related to NASCAR or some of my main interests.  I don't try to make my blog political, and I don't want to offend anyone who reads this blog.  But this is something that is very near to my heart, and I would like everyone to sign this petition.  No, it isn't something stupid, like my Weird Al Super Bowl Petition blog, but this is something that is worthwhile; this is a petition to the President of the United States for a strong plan to combat Alzheimer's Disease.


Alzheimer's Disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States.  In fact, it is the only one in the top 10 without a cure, a prevention, or even a way to slow its progression.  This year alone, Alzheimer's Disease will cost the United States $183 billion.  If action isn't taken now, that cost is expected to rise to $1 trillion by 2050.  Though there are some drugs on the market right now for Alzheimer's treatment, these drugs only target the symptoms of the disease; there is nothing that can be done to stop or reverse the progression of the disease. 

The only way to find a cure for this disease is to understand what causes it.  Unfortunately, the cause is not understood.  Because of this, people with Alzheimer's will continue to get worse.  Alzheimer's is a degenerative disease, and the sufferer must rely on a caregiver.  Unfortunately, as they age, more stress is placed on the caregiver.


You're probably wondering why I'm writing about this.  Unfortunately, my grandfather is currently suffering from this disease.  It's placing great stress on my grandma and my mom.  All I'm asking is that you sign the petition.  I'm not asking you to donate, I'm not asking you to do any work; all I'm asking you to do is sign your name.  Every signature helps.

Usually my blogs will only get about 20 views in a week.  But I'm asking you to post this blog everywhere; Facebook, Twitter, Google+, anywhere.  Make this a world without Alzheimer's, so that families don't have to go through what mine is currently going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment