Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone! I get really excited for two holidays: Halloween and Christmas.  I watch the September days pass as the calender gets closer to October 1st.  When that happens, I know it's time for one thing: scary movies.  I love horror movies, especially Slasher films.  So who needs candy when you can sit on the couch and put in a movie that will cause you to lose sleep until Christmas, where even the sugar plums dancing in your head are afraid of Freddy Krueger.  So here are some of my favorite movies for this wonderful Halloween season:

Halloween (1978)
This is the movie that started it all.  John Carpenter's low-budget horror flick started the craze of slasher movies that we still see to this day.  Without Michael Myers, we wouldn't have Freddy Krueger or Jason Voorhees. 


The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
When it comes to the Universal Studios' monster movies from the 50s, I've always been partial to The Creature from the Black Lagoon.  Growing up, it was always my favorite of all the Universal monsters.  Followed up by two sequels, where they try to turn him into a person.  Yeah, that has good idea written all over it...


The Shining (1980)
Heeeeere's Johnny!!  There's no escaping some of the sights seen in this movie.  Even the trailer's messed up!  Jack Nicholson plays a hotel caretaker who slowly loses his mind.  This movie has twists abound, but that's expected from Stanley Kubrick.  Based on the novel by Stephen King.


Insidious (2011)
I have literally lost sleep over this movie.  Modern horror movies don't usually scare me, but the music in this movie makes you jump.  Sure, the demon looks like Darth Maul from Star Wars, but I still don't want him in my room.


Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The classic by George Romero started everything Zombie.  Without this movie, we wouldn't have Shaun of the Dead, The Walking Dead, or even Resident Evil!  Plus, George Romero is from Pittsburgh, which is my hometown.  You can't go wrong with this zombie classic.


Happy Halloween everyone, and good luck getting some sleep!

1 comment: