Sunday, August 5, 2018

Chase Elliott Finally Finds Victory Lane at Watkins Glen

Originally written for CLNS Media.


Chase Elliott won the GoBowling.com at the Glen from Watkins Glen International on Sunday afternoon for his first career victory.

After qualifying third for Sunday’s race, Elliott ran up front throughout the day.  After challenging throughout the first stage, Elliott took the lead from Kyle Busch at the beginning of stage 2. 

Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images
After a pit miscue sent Busch to the back before the final run, Elliott had to hold off Martin Truex Jr. throughout the final 30 laps. 

Elliott said he almost gave the win away on the final lap when his car wheel-hopped going into Turn 1.

“I started wheel-hopping and I had two options: either knock it out of gear or spin out…I chose to knock it out of gear,” Elliott said.  “Luckily I had a big enough gap at the time where Martin wasn’t next to me.  I thought if I could just be in front of him before the esses, typically you can gap a guy through there.”

After finishing second eight times throughout his first 98 career Cup Series races, Elliott was finally able to get to victory lane in his 99th career race. 

Elliott said he was relieved to finally get the first victory out of the way.

“So thrilled, so emotional, so much relief,” Elliott said.  “Working on three years and we haven’t won one.  I had the opportunity today and we were able to get it done.”

“I had a good group around me to keep pushing me and keep making me realize we weren’t in those positions by accident.  Just wanted to make sure if we were in a position to capitalize, and we did it.”

Truex finished second after running out of fuel on the final lap, and said that he believed his car was faster than Elliott’s over the final run.

“I could catch him, but just when I’d get close, I’d get loose and fall back,” Truex said.  “He put his car exactly where I needed to be and I couldn’t get him.  I gave it everything I had every single lap.”

“We ran out of gas on the last lap, so I guess it wouldn’t have mattered anyway.”

Unofficial results:
1. Chase Elliott
2. Martin Truex Jr.
3. Kyle Busch
4. Daniel Suarez
5. Erik Jones
6. Kyle Larson
7. Jamie McMurray
8. William Byron
9. Kurt Busch
10. Kevin Harvick
11. Clint Bowyer
12. Ryan Blaney
13. Denny Hamlin
14. Alex Bowman
15. AJ Allmendinger
16. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
17. Brad Keselowski
18. Michael McDowell
19. Ryan Newman
20. Chris Buescher
21. Kasey Kahne
22. Aric Almirola
23. Ty Dillon
24. Parker Kligerman
25. Darrell Wallace Jr.
26. David Ragan
27. Austin Dillon
28. Paul Menard
29. Matt Kenseth
30. Jimmie Johnson
31. Landon Cassill
32. Ross Chastain
33. Matt DiBenedetto
34. Cole Whitt
35. Spencer Gallagher
36. Josh Bilicki
37. Joey Logano

Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment