Sunday, August 13, 2017

Larson Continues to Succeed in Michigan

Originally written for CLNS Media.

Kyle Larson won the Pure Michigan 400 from Michigan International Speedway on Sunday afternoon.

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
Larson went four-wide on the final restart to take the lead with two laps to go, and he pulled away from Martin Truex Jr. to take the checkered flag.  Larson said he had planned the winning move while sitting in his car during a red flag prior to the final restart.

“I was running a few options through my head of what to do if I got a good jump, and that was one of them,” Larson said.  “It was the most perfect restart of my life; I’ve lost a lot on late restarts, but to get one from the second row makes up for some of them.”

Larson’s victory was the fourth of his career, and his third-consecutive win at Michigan.  Larson, who only led the last two laps, said he was happy his team was able to fight back to win after struggling with the car’s handling throughout the race.

“We were struggling all day, definitely not as good as we were the last two times here,” Larson said.  “I can’t believe that happened…I didn’t think I had a shot to win that at all.  My car was really loose in traffic and average in clean air.”

“We persevered…and had some good restarts there at the end.”

Truex had one of the most dominant cars all day after leading 57 laps.  Truex held off his teammate Erik Jones over the final runs, but he wasn’t able to keep Larson behind him on the final restart. 

Truex said his tires were too cold following the red flag and his car couldn’t go.

“Just tried to do something different there with Larson behind me, and he hit me; when he hit me I went and I spun the tires,” Truex said.  “The tires just got too cold under that red.”

“I thought there was no way he would go around me on the bottom with all that speedy dry down there.  Sometimes these things don’t work out.”

Unofficial results:
1. Kyle Larson
2. Martin Truex Jr.
3. Erik Jones
4. Ryan Newman
5. Trevor Bayne
6. Chris Buescher
7. Austin Dillon
8. Chase Elliott
9. Jamie McMurray
10. Kyle Busch
11. Kurt Busch
12. Aric Almirola
13. Kevin Harvick
14. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
15. Ryan Blaney
16. Denny Hamlin
17. Brad Keselowski
18. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
19. Jimmie Johnson
20. AJ Allmendinger
21. Ty Dillon
22. Danica Patrick
23. Clint Bowyer
24. Matt Kenseth
25. Landon Cassill
26. Matt DiBenedetto
27. Michael McDowell
28. Joey Logano
29. Cole Whitt
30. David Ragan
31. Corey LaJoie
32. Brett Moffitt
33. Reed Sorenson
34. Paul Menard
35. Jeffrey Earnhardt
36. BJ McLeod
37. Daniel Suarez
38. Kasey Kahne
39. Derrike Cope

Brian Lawdermilk/Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment