Sunday, January 15, 2017

Top 10 Movies: 2017 Edition

A new year has begun, and with it come a whole slew of new movies.  This list features the top ten movies I'm most looking forward to in the coming year.  So let's get started!

(Editor's note: the release dates in parenthesis include links to the respective film's page on IMDb.)

10. Logan (March 3)
Power Rangers
This is it.  One final ride with Hugh Jackman as everyone's favorite Canadian with a metal skeleton.  I can't wait to see what an R-rated Wolverine movie looks like because the character lends itself so well to the rating.  Thankfully, Deadpool showed us that an R-rated superhero movie, when done well, can drag all the nerds to the theater (I saw the movie in theaters twice).  I can't wait for Jackman's swan song as Wolverine.

9. Annabelle 2 (August 11)
I make it pretty clear that I love horror movies, right?  There has been such a resurgence in good horror lately, we've all been spoiled.  Annabelle was one of the best horror movies in recent memory, and the sequel should be good as well.  I can't wait to see my second-favorite creepy doll make her return to the silver screen.  Sorry Annabelle, Chucky is still the king.

8. Thor: Ragnarok (November 3)
Thor is my least-favorite Avenger, but I'll still be seeing this movie opening night nonetheless.  I'm very excited to see how they work the Hulk angle into this movie, especially since props have leaked that point towards a Planet Hulk-themed setup. 

7. Insidious: Chapter 4 (October 20)
Insidious is definitely my favorite horror franchise in recent memory.  I loved the first two, and the third film kicked it up another notch and was legitimately scary.  The same creative team is coming back together for this film, and it still features everyone's favorite ghost hunter Elise.

6. The Dark Tower (July 28)
Stephen King's epic series is finally coming to the big screen, and I couldn't be more excited.  While it's going to stray a little from the books, I'm perfectly alright with the creative choices they're making.  I can't wait to see Roland Deschain and The Man in Black in theaters.  I read these books when I was in high school, and I've been waiting ever since to see them made into a movie.

5. Power Rangers (March 24)
The Power Rangers were literally my childhood.  Being a 90's kid, I grew up watching different iterations of Rangers kicking butt on TV.  I was born the same year Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers debuted on TV, and I grew up adoring the Green Ranger, Tommy.  While he's not in this movie, the other original rangers will be.  I can't wait to see how they portray these characters, and hopefully the movie is great.  Even if it does turn out poorly, it still couldn't be as bad as the original movie with Ivan Ooze.
IT

4. Star Wars: Episode VIII (December 15)
The Force Awakens was awesome.  Rogue One was awesome.  I have no doubt that Episode VIII will be awesome as well.  I can't wait to see what happens now that Luke has been found and Rey will start her training.  Also, more BB-8 is always a good thing.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 (May 5)
Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I can't wait to see what the sequel holds.  The first trailer for the movie looks amazing.  Plus, just look at how cute and awesome baby Groot is!

2. IT (September 8)
Spider-Man: Homecoming
IT was one of my favorite movies when I was little, and it's became one of my favorite books as well.  This movie is the reason my sister is afraid of clowns, because I showed it to her when she was little in a genuine act of brotherly love.  They're splitting this one up into two movies to properly cover all 1,081 pages of Stephen King's epic.  Pennywise looks amazing, and before I even see it, I know this movie could be my favorite of the year.

1. Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7)
I. Can't. Wait.  Spider-Man is my favorite comic book character of all time, and I've been waiting for the character to be done "right," and this looks like it'll be perfect.  Tom Holland looks like he's going to finally bring the quintessential Spider-Man story to the big screen.  I remember sitting in the theater during Civil War's big fight scene and, while Giant Man is on screen, thinking that the real Spider-Man would make an "Empire Strikes Back" reference.  And then he did. I fell in love, and I got more excited for this movie than I thought I ever could.

Those are my top ten movies of the coming year; what movies are you most looking forward to?  Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment